Agents in Training
The Agent In Training (AIT) position is used as a diversity recruiting tool to attract underserved candidates to Extension. The AIT will work alongside county agents and staff to develop and deliver Extension programs to improve the quality of life and solve problems for the citizens of Tennessee through the application of research and evidenced-based knowledge in the areas of 4-H Youth Development, Agriculture and Natural Resources, Family and Consumer Sciences, and Community Economic Development. This is a 6-month limited duration position with the expectation that the AIT will seek a permanent position as a county agent. AIT will continue to apply for Agent vacancies while they achieve experience. For further information please Contact Us.
Minority Intern Program
The UT Extension Minority Internship is a 10 week paid position where students will gain experience by working with an Extension Agent in on of Tennessee’s 95 counties offices. Interns will get hands on experience and have the opportunity to teach youth and adults, do demonstrations, go on farm visits, work with youth at 4-H Camp, and much more. For more information about this and other opportunities see the UT Extension employment website.
Coming Together for Racial Understanding
Coming Together for Racial Understanding is a national curriculum designed to equip Extension employees to help their communities engage in civil dialogues around racial issues. Trained facilitators provide professional development opportunities that foster higher levels of cultural competency and build capacity for engaging in dialogue around issues of diversity. The facilitators implement initiatives that promote education, conversation, cultural competency, and engagement. Those initiatives include targeted training sessions offered throughout the academic year and a book club, with participants coming together every two weeks to review literature regarding diversity, equity, and inclusion.
Diversity Links & Resources
- UTIA Office of Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion
- UT Office of Equity and Diversity
- UTK Diversity and Engagement
- UT Diversity Resources Packet
- UT Extension Diversity Climate Survey
- American Slave Narratives: An Online Anthology
- Diversity Central – Resources for cultural diversity at work
- Library of Congress: African-American Odyssey
- Online Resources in United States History
- Poverty & Race Research Action Council
- Society for Human Resources Management – DEI Site
- The Martin Luther King, Jr. Papers Project at Stanford University
Equal Employment Opportunity
- Equal Employment Opportunity in the University of Tennessee Extension
- Equal Employment Opportunity Commission
- EEOC 2006Race-Color Compliance Manual